When we select a temperature sensor for an application, what should we consider?
1. Accuracy and resolution of measurement.
2. Environment that the sensor will be exposed to.
3. Dimensional constraints on sensor.
4. Time response of sensor and control system.
5. Ease of installation of sensors in system.
6. Location of temperature sensor relative to control instrumentation.
7. Ease of interfacing sensor to instrumentation systems.
8. Sensor interchangeability without calibration adjustments.
9. Sensor cost.
With such criteria in mind, the selection of temperature sensors for an application can be made in a systematic way. For most temperature sensing situations, NTC thermistors offer the best combination of sensor attributes to meet operational criteria.